Saturday, March 21, 2015

Book Review: Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum

I recieved this book for my honest review from Netgalley(Random House LLC).  This is the author's debut novel.

Hausfrau is not what I expected, it is a dark, very thought-provoking book and would make a great book club book because it would generate a lot of discussion.

The main character Anna Benz is a thirty something housewife that moves to Switzerland with her Swiss husband and two sons.  The saying "a bored woman is a dangerous woman" is very true in this story. Anna is a bored housewife.

I enjoyed the writing of this book by Jill Essbaum but I did not like Anna.  Anna is living in a perfect family a beautiful country with a loving husband and yet cannot be happy.  She is her own worst enemy and has no self-control.

I wanted to continue reading Hausfrau because I was hoping Anna would get her act together.  The ending of the book was very depressing and some of the language was a little too strong for me and the sex scenes left nothing to be imagined.

I would recommend this book to book clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment